Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Arolla: A Trip Back in Time

Gilles, Nico, and Olivier (a couple of local boys) brought me to Arolla yesterday. What can I say about Arolla...it's this little ski resort in the middle of no where. You arrive at the mountain and you think that you've been brought back in time and dropped in the middle of the 50's! For real! First of all, there are only Poma lifts! And, for those of you who remember what Poma lifts are like, well, let's just say there's a reason why we haven't seen any in Canada for 20 years!

So, I reluctantly got on the Poma lift. But, as JP will attest, the last time I was on a Poma lift, I was dragged about 10 meters on my butt because my leg and my snowboard were caught on the arm of the lift. Ok, so I put the image of that bad experience aside and I got on the lift! After all, I was on skies this time, not on a snowboard. But, as soon as I got on the lift, kicked forward and pulled me slightly in the air. I had a moment of panic, I swear I got whiplash, but I was still standing!

As we got higher, I started seeing the amazing view. The sun was shinning, it was warm, and we were surrounded by mountains. Suddenly, my fear of the Poma lift was gone! It was definitely worth it!

From there, Gilles and Olivier went ski touring, and Nico and I did some runs. The skiing was good. Natural, hard packed snow. We all met up at the top of the mountain at around 11am. We chilled on the terrace and in typical Euro-style skiing form (or so I was told) we had some wine. I was scandalized, but I was told that it was all part of the experience.

After camping out on Gilles couch for nearly a week now, I'll be heading to La Plagne, France to meet up with JP. My next transmission will be from there!

No comments: