Thursday, January 11, 2007

No Skis, No Snow, No Camera!


After getting slightly lost in the London airport and a missed connection in Frankfurt, I finally made it to Zurich! I wish I could say the same about my bags! They were lost in transit! From Zurich, I made my way by train to Sion, where I was greeted by Gilles who took me up to his place in Les Collons!

Normally I would be really excited, but my skies are AWOL (somewhere between Frankfurt and Zurich) and there’s a serious lack of snow. I can’t even play tourist because the charger for my camera is MIA! The good news is that I packed an extra pair of clothes in my carry on, so I’m not completely suffering! And, I have my trustee laptop, so all is good. Not to mention really good company! If I get too depressed I’ll stock up on red wine and Swiss chocolate! Mmmmm!

We did have to go down to Sion to do some grocery shopping. Gilles, my host has nothing but chips, cookies, donuts, and croissants. It blows my mind how he can stay so skinny. He’s a regular toothpick (at least next to me). If I ate that way, you would have to lift me with a forklift. Anyway, I digress! We went grocery shopping and it was a real intercultural experience. My half of the cart was filled with veggies (of course) and his side was filled with, well, junk! I nearly passed out when we got the bill. Mine barely cost 40fr and his cost 110fr. What a revelation! In North America it’s expensive to eat well, in Europe it’s expensive to eat badly. That, my friends, explains a lot...

And, now Gilles and his friend are drinking beer and playing with guns! Yes, that’s Swiss class.

No comments: